ORLY EPIX - 2 Step Flexible Color Sytem!

3:37 PM

It seems all the nail polish companies are jumping on the 2 step bandwagon.


The idea is that you use a base coat and buy their special top coat to create a gel looking mani at home. 

So I did an experiment. By accident.

I was at Ulta and I wanted a new nail polish but I didn't want to spend a lot. I wanted a clearance $2 polish and I didn't even care what color - But I saw ORLY Epix in "Cameo", I liked the color, it's 50% off, lets go! 

But then on the drive home I looked at the bottle and saw "Step 1 Flexible Color".

Crap.
Was I supposed to buy a Step 2? Was it gonna not work at all without it?
I googled it but I couldn't find anything so I did my own experiment to find out.



Can you use ORLY EPIX without the Step 2 Sealant Top Coat? Find out after the break!


There's the final product!

I did a thick coat at first, the color was gorgeous and opaque but... It wouldn't dry after 10 minutes!

I tried to set it with Seche Vite - the top coat dried but the polish underneath didn't. When that happens, you get wrinkles, and if you press the tip of your nail into it, you'll leave a dent. Apparently this polish is supposed to fix itself magically when that happens, but no dice without the top coat.

I removed it with regular remover - happy to report it removed easily.

So I started again with VERY THIN coats, they came out very streaky and took forever to completely dry in between - I'm talking 5 - 10 minutes between THIN coats.

ORLY EPIX in Cameo without the top coat

Then I topped off with Seche Vite for gloss. (The accent nail is Julep in "Sienna")

It looks gorgeous, but it still feels wet underneath! Like it feels like it would wrinkle or dent. I actually  did cause a tear in it almost 15 minutes later, which I decided to leave because it took so long to put on, I didn't want to start all over on one nail.

For afar it looks alright, but it took way too long to do well. I'm not sure if the top coat will dry it faster, but from reviews I've read, it still dries very very slow. 

The look with Seche Vite is the usual absolutely glossy look, but any thin parts or weirdness in texture from the thick paint underneath is obvious. It's not a smooth even coat. I'm not the best at application, but usually I can fake a good level layer.

ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - In Sunlight
ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - In Sunlight

ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - Indoor Light
ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - Indoor Light

ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - iPhone Flash
ORLY EPIX in Cameo (Without the Top Coat) - iPhone Flash


Overall for the $5 I paid for it, it's okay. I'd try again with the top coat if I can find it for $5 or less.
If it was amazing I was prepared to run out and buy the top coat a few more colors but from the reviews online it doesn't seem like it's worth it. 

3/5 (without the top coat)
- very thick 
- takes SO LONG to dry - LIKE HOURS
- GORGEOUS color though
- Nick bottle, the cap has a rubber grip that feels quality
- Good brush.


You Might Also Like

0 Sparkles

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook