makeup review: smashbox 24 hours cc spot concealer

12:59 AM

I LOVE Smashbox but no matter how much I wanted this to work, I ended up returning this product to sephora. Find out why after the break!




I have "beauty spots" - flat moles that are dark brown in color and I've had for as long as I can remember. I do think that some of my spots (I'm very spotty and freckled) are from sun damage growing up in Hawaii, but I know that my 'beauty marks' (I prefer that term to "moles") are more part of being part Filipino. I don't like the way they look, although they're FLAT and not raised or hairy or distracting, I just feel I'd look brighter without them.

I picked this up to spot conceal a particularly large one on my chin - I figured there was a flat and tapered sponge tip and I heard it has a "medical liquid bandage" type formula that makes it stay 24 hours. I saw my favorite makeup guru on youtube Tati review it and although she had the wrong shade, she did like the coverage, so I figured I'd try it out.

I got Light/natural - the lady in sephora picked it for me, and although it did look patchy in Sephora, I thought I could finesse it at home.

However, it just always seemed too light for me. It highlighted my spot instead of making it fade away. I just couldn't get it right, either I had to blend it so much that it didn't cover my spot, or it looked like a tiny spotlight on the area I'm trying to distract attention away from!

I did go back intending to trade it for the light/medium, which did swatch better in the store, but I asked an associate what alternatives there were because I tested it in store, and no matter what I put over it, it looked cakey and obvious. The associate finally lead me to cover FX which I'd been recommended before to cover medical scars.

I did trade it for the Cover FX concealer, and although it doesn't have quite as much one-step coverage as the cc concealer, it doesn't highlight my problem.

FINAL THOUGHT:
If your skin is a shade that EXACTLY matches a shade of the cc concealer, this will be a holy grail for you if you can apply it right. It was cakey for me no matter what, but maybe if it's exactly your skin color, you won't be trying to layer foundations and powders over it to make it fade in.

Over all, the color didn't work for me, the formula was too obvious. I do love smashbox, but this was a no-go.

You Might Also Like

0 Sparkles

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook